Lipman Hall, Room 333B
76 Lipman Drive
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8525
My research interest focuses on the microbiome development from birth, functions for the host, impact by practices that reduce microbial transmission or disrupt the microbiota, and strategies for restoration. We also study how Westernization changes environmental microbes and human exposures, integrating the fields of anthropology and architecture/urban studies into microbial ecology.
1. Effects of C-section on development
The major goal of this study is to determine perinatal microbial factors that protect against or predispose to metabolic diseases and to type 1 diabetes. JDRF; Emch Fund; C&D Fund, CIFAR, SEBS-IFNH-Seed grant.
2. Effect of lack of direct breastfeeding on the infant microbiome development
The major goal of this study is to determine whether bottle-feeding maternal breastmilk introduces developmental changes in the microbiome of babies. Funds: Emch Fund; C&D Fund, CIFAR.
3. The microbiome of isolated peoples
Hunter-gatherer societies bring a unique opportunity as a proximities to pre-urban life practices (void of antimicrobial factors such as antibiotics, C-sections, excessive hygiene). This project studies the community structure and function of the bacterial populations in the body of traditional peoples, to understand their protective effect against modern immune and metabolic diseases. Funds: Emch Fund; C&D Fund.
Selected Publications, 2021–Present
- Finlay B, Amato KR, Azad M, Blaser MJ, Bosch TCG, Chu H, Dominguez-Bello M, Ehrlich D, Elinav E, Geva-Zatorsky N, Gros P, Guillemin K, Keck F, Korem T, McFall-Ngai M, Melby M, Nichter M, Pettersson S, Poinar H, Rees T, Tropini C, Zhao L, Giles-Vernick T. The hygiene hypothesis during a pandemic: consequences for the human microbiome. PNAS 2021 Vol. 118 No. 6 e2010217118. PMID: 33472859, https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2010217118 | 1of9
- Janiak MC, Montague M, Villamil C, Stock M, Trujillo A, DePasquale A, Orkin J, Bauman Surratt S, Gonzalez O, Platt M, Martinez M, Antón S, Dominguez-Bello G, Melin A, Higham J. Microbiome Age and sex-associated variation in the multi-site microbiome of an entire social group of free-ranging rhesus macaques. Microbiome 2021, 9:68 https://doi.org/10.1186/s40168-021-01009-w
- Song SJ, Wang J, Martino C, Jiang L, Thompson WK, Shenhav L, McDonald D, Harris Diez PR, Hernandez C, Henderson N, Ackley E, Nardella D, Gilliham C, Montacutti V, Schweizer W, Jay M, Combellick J, Collado MC, Rivera-Viñas JI, Campos Rivera M, Ruiz JF, Knight R, Dominguez-Bello MG.. Naturalization of the microbiota developmental trajectory of Cesarean-born neonates after vaginal seeding. Med 2021, 2:1-14 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medj.2021.05.003
- Zhang X, Yin Yue YS, Wang J, Battaglia T, Krautkramer K, Li WV, Li J, Brown M, Zhang M, Badri M, Armstrong A, Strauch, CM, Wang Z, Nemet I, Altomare N, Devlin JC, . He L, Morton J, Chalk JA, Needles K, Liao V, Mount J, Li H, Ruggles KV, Bonneau RA, Dominguez Bello, MG, Backhed F, Hazen SL, Blaser MJ. Cecal Microbiota Transfer Rescues Antibiotic-Induced Acceleration of Type 1 Diabetes and Alteration of Intestinal Gene Expression. Cell Host Microbe 2021, 12 (1) e03335-20.
- Datta P, Ukey R, Bruiners N, Honnen W, Carayannopoulos MO, Reichman C, Choudhary A, Onyuka A, Handler D, Guerrini V, Mishra PK, Dewald HK, Lardizabal A , Lederer L, Leiser AL, Hussain S, Jagpal SK, Radbel J, Bhowmick T, Horton DB, Barrett ES, Xie YL, Fitzgerald-Bocarsly P, Weiss SH, Woortman M, Parmar H, Roy J, Dominguez-Bello MG, Blaser MJ, Carson JL, Panettieri RA, Libutti SK, Raymond HF, Pinter A, and Gennaro ML. Highly versatile antibody binding assay for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccination. Journal of Immunological Methods 2021, 499, 113165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jim.2021.113165
- Ferrazzo Naspolini N, Meyer A; Costa Moreira J; Sun H; Froes-Asmus C. I. R.; Dominguez-Bello MG. Environmental pollutant exposure associated with altered early-life gut microbiome: Results from a birth cohort study. Environmental Research 2021 205, 112545, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2021.112545
- Hourigan SK; Dominguez-Bello MG; Mueller NT. Can maternal-child microbial seeding interventions improve the health of infants delivered by cesarean section? Cell Host & Microbe 2022, 30, May 11th, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chom.2022.02.014
- Sun, H., P. Yamada, A. Paetow, M. Chan, A. Arslan, R. landberg, M. G. Dominguez-Bello, and B. K. Young. A randomized controlled trial of the effects of whole grains versus refined grains diets on the microbiome in pregnancy. Scientific Reports 2022, 12:509, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-11571-4
- Dominguez Bello MG, Shin H, Martinez II K, Henderson N, Jay M, Schweizer W, Bogaert D, Park G, Bokulich N, Blaser M. Partial convergence of the human vaginal and rectal maternal microbiota in late gestation and the early post-partum" NPJBiofilms 2022 (accepted)
- Van Best, N, Dominguez-Bello MG, MW Hornef, E Jasarevich, K Korsela and TD Lawley. Should we modulate the neonatal microbiome, and what shpuld be the goal? Microbiome, 2022 10:74. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40168-022-01281-4
- Gauglitz et al. 4 authors Dorrestein. Enhancing metabolomics annotations using metadata-based source annotation. Nature Biotechnology 2022 (Accepted)